Malcolm Howe, Lord of Sharples
Malcolm Howe lived in Hill Cot Road up to the age of eighteen. In 1942 during the Second World War he started his education at Sharples – which was then called Bank Top Primary School. Hiss class teacher was Miss Walkden and the head teacher was Miss Stevenson. Although school was very strict in those days, Malcolm enjoyed an excellent education. Amongst his many happy memories are the celebrations of Victory in 1945 and receiving from King George VI a special message which was given out at schools to all the children of the nation. He had presented his treasured copy to the school.
In 1948 he went on to Bolton School and then in 1957 was called up for National Service before going to Cambridge University to study Chemistry which he then taught at Ellesmere College, Shropshire. In 1970 he moved to London to start a new career in Personnel Management. Now he has retired Malcolm lives in Chelsea and also has a home in Lisbon, Portugal where he was awarded an horary knighthood by the Duke of Braganza, head of the Portguese Royal Family. Since retirement he has written five books and enjoys his hobbies of heraldry, family and local history.
When he obtained the Lordship of Sharples he bequeathed the title to the people of Bolton. He is proud of his Lancashire upbringing and it was a great pleasure for Malcolm to return to his former Primary School to open the new Community Room to which he contributed financially. He has also very kindly sponsored the production of this prospectus.
Finally Malcolm would like to congratulate the pupils, the parents, the staff and Governors of Sharples Primary School on the remarkable educational standards they have achieved and wish them every success for a great future.